- Receive considerate care that safeguards your personal dignity and respects your cultural, psychological and spiritual values.
- Receive care in a clean, safe and healthy environment without discrimination with respect to race, gender, national origin, age, political beliefs or disability.
- Receive efficient and courteous attention from all personnel when you request help with the understanding that other patients may have similar or more urgent needs.
- Be listened to when you have a question or desire more information and to receive an appropriate response.
- Know who is treating you, talk to the person treating you and receive the information necessary for you to understand your medical problem.
- Choose your physician and are entitled to a second opinion within the Medical Center policy.
- Be included in any decision concerning your care.
- Be informed of the proposed course of treatment or procedure, its purpose, method, likely duration and potential benefit, alternative forms of treatment, as well as possible pain or discomfort, risks and side effects.
- Refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law and be informed of the medical consequences of refusal.
- Clinical trials and experimental treatments cannot be carried out without your informed consent having been obtained by the Medical Center or medical personnel. You have the right to refuse to take part in any such clinical trials or research.
- Total confidentiality concerning your medical record, and you may request a copy of your discharge summary to be sent to another hospital or physician.
- Privacy in all aspects of your care.
- Receive visitors according to the Medical Center visiting policy.
- With some exceptions imposed by law, you have the right to leave the Medical Center against the advice of your physician. If you so elect, you will be asked to sign a “Discharge Against Advice” form, and the physicians will not be responsible for any harm that may result.
- Be fully informed of any continuing care required following discharge from the Medical Center.
- Have your pain properly assessed and adequately controlled.